Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Rough 2010







Well, it has been a rough year. I have not posted anything in a very long time. Lost a couple of our best friends. For some reason they chose to believe the lies of a crazy woman who would'nt know the truth if it bit her on the nose. Was very confusing and really hurt but I have moved on and came to realize that they were obviously lieing to us as much as she was for a long time. Just irritates me how people can claim you are "like their brother & sister" one day and then pretend they don't know you the next. Oh well....life goes on!

Then in June...the Wildcat creek flooded for the first time in 100 years. The first floor of our house was flooded! Talk about a nightmare! Had to tear out all the flooring and we are still trying to get that awful smell out of the house. I will post pictures later. Here it is July and we are still trying to get everything cleaned up. Lost most of my garden in the flood too so that sucks!

Also in June (and this is good news!), my long time friend Lynn came to visit from Florida. I miss her so much. I had not seen her in almost 17 years!! But as soon as I saw her, it seemed like we had never missed a day. I loved spending time with her and her boys. Travis is now labeled "the good son" because he is so quiet and laid back. Andy is definitly the one who took after his mother! LOL..whew..talk about a firecracker! That boy really had me laughing. I really enjoyed spending time with both of them and my boys also loved meeting them and spending time with all of them. I hope it's not another 17 years before we see each other again! Miss them already!

While a couple of the things I have told you are bad enough....something much worse happened over this past weekend. While it was very traumatic, it has also made me realize that the previous two stories are not important. They are petty...friends come and go and houses can be replaced. My brother cannot!

On 7/2/10, Bob went to the hospital because his legs and arms felt heavy. They said that his potassium was critically high (7) and that they were going to admit him for overnight so that they could get his potassium levels under control. When I left the hospital friday evening, he was fine.
I got back to the hospital about 10:30 Saturday morning, thinking that I was taking him home. He was sleeping when I got there and so I was just standing by his bed waiting for him to wake up. About 11am, he woke up, looked at me and smiled. Right at that moment, the nurse came running in the room and asked him if he was ok. He looked at her and said "ya, I'm fine". She said your heart monitor is going crazy out here. Right at that moment, his eyes rolled back into his head and he went into cardiac arrest. The called a Code Blue and ended up having to shock him 3 times before his heart started beating again. They put him on life support and he was sedated at that time. The doctors told me that because of the length of time he was not breathing, he may have brain damage. They were moving him to ICU at that time.
1 1/2 hours later...Bob is now in ICU. The nurse is hooking up all kinds of medications to his I.V when we both noticed that his heart beat was suddenly going very irratic. Just like that...cardiac arrest again. Second Code Blue within an hour and half! The shocked him again. The doctor explained to me later that they normally shock a patient 3 times and if there is no response..they call the time of death. The doctor stated that after 3 shocks..there was no response and he was ready to call it when Bob suddenly sat straight up in bed and looked him in the eye. The doctor swears that Bob was clinically dead and has no explanation as to why this happened but he made the decision to continue CPR...they shocked him 2 more times. After the 5th shock..Bob's heart started beating.

The doctor sat with me later explaining all of this. He also told me that there was a good chance of brain damage but he didn't know the extent of it yet. He stated that he didn't believe Bob would make it through the night and suggested that I stay as long as possible and be with him. Like I was leaving anyway!!

Today (4 days after he died twice), Bob is sitting up in bed and telling me what to do again! The doctors are shocked. They don't understand how he has survived and made such an astounding recovery. If you could see my brother today, you would think I was lying about what happened! He has a punctured lung, 3 broken ribs, a VERY bruised chest and only 28% of his heart is functioing but he is alive!! He has a long recovery ahead of him but he is a fighter.

All of this has really made me stop and realize what is important in life. I used to get so frustrated with Bob because he is soooo damn stubborn! But now I thank god that he is stubborn! His attitude is...how dare they tell him he won't make it! I love my brother and I am not ready to loose him. I am so grateful that he is a fighter and we have been given another chance to spend more time together. No matter how much, or how little, time we have left together, I plan on making it count. We will not take this time for granted!

Whew...thats a long post! I have been really bad about keeping up with my blog but everytime I posted something people would turn it around that I was talking about them! Blah blah blah...don't care anymore. Like I said....petty shit doesn't matter anymore! So anyway, I am going to try to do better so that I can keep everything documented. iw ant to remember all the good times and have it last forever.

No comments: